Whether you have just caught a fresh fish or you have bought a fish from the supermarket, filleting a fish is much easier than you think. No matter what type of fish you select, the technique is same. Here we will explain to you how to filet a fish.
Step 1-Get ready to start filleting a fish
· First you need to choose a knife for filleting the fish. There are knives that are designed for this specific purpose and these knives work very well. If you aren’t willing to buy a filleting knife you can easily find a long, thin and sharp knife which will enable you to cut the meat of the fish and ignore the bones. Just remember to sharpen the blade of the knife before getting to work.
· Next thing you need to do while getting ready for this process is to set up the area properly where you are willing to work. You will also be in need of a cutting board. Also set out a clean plate to arrange the filets.
· After setting the work area you need to prepare the fish which you want to filet. It must be rinsed well in cold water. This must be done by making the fish lay horizontally on a cutting board and the bottom of the fish must be facing you. Later dry it well with the help of a paper towel.
Step2- Fileting the fish
· The first step you must take when you begin fileting the fish is to remove its head. The knife must be positioned behind the gills and must be cut in the downwards direction with a diagonal angle. After this you must flip the fish and make another diagonal cut.
· As soon as you remove the head you must proceed to remove the tail of the fish. The knife must be placed down where the body and the tail meet and must be cut down through the skin. The tail must then be removed and discarded.
· After this insert the knife behind the cover of the gill by lifting it slightly from the body of the fish. Turn the knife so that it is in alignment with the ribcage. Separate the meat from the ribs by running the knife on the ribcage.
· The knife must be pushed through the vents. This must be done till the filet is cut from the tail.
Step3- Finishing the Filet
· You need to remove the pin bones by holding the filet on the plate with the help of only one hand. The other hand must be used to remove the pin bones which are present in the filet.
· Later you need to trim the fish by removing the fat portion of the fish which is mostly present in the belly. ( This step is optional )
· Skin the fish by positioning the knife in between the flesh and the skin. This step is optional as many people love eating the fish of the skin.
If you really want to know how to filet a fish, the above mentioned steps would be greatly helpful in guiding you to filet your fish properly. The given steps are very easy to follow and each and every type of fish requires the same procedure for filleting thus making the procedure much easier for your recipe.